My first pie!

Believe it or not, I have never baked a pie.  Okay maybe once with my mum decades ago.  I mean you guys know me:  I don't do pies.  But I've had these frozen cherries in my freezer since I did those chocolate cherry cupcakes back in March and decided to try my hand at making a pie. I used this perfect pie crust recipe that my mother in-law uses that has one of the most strangest ingredients: Vodka!  The dough when out of the food processor is quite sticky and wet, as it's meant to be, and because I placed it in the refrigerator overnight it was very hard the next day.  I let it sit out on the counter for about 15-25 minutes and proceeded to roll out the dough with the generous 1/2 cup of flour the recipe recommends.  Oh my garsh, rolling out dough is hard!  Especially when it's super stiff and cold.  I kept reconnecting the edges that were splitting and thought for sure I had over worked the dough.  I even started over, re-balled it, rolled it, and just continued with the recipe. Lo'n' behold, the pie came out pretty damn good! The crust was super flaky and delicious, so obviously me touching it a lot during prep didn't hurt it.  This is a fail proof dough me thinks!  I will definitely be doing the apple pie next time and practice my dough fluting!  For the cherry pie recipe, I should state that using the 1.5 cups of sugar was waaaay too sweet, so I added more cherries and corn starch and cooked them down again, and let them cool completely.  Then when scooping into my pie crust, I used a slotted spoon so that I drained some of the liquid too...I guess I didn't use enough corn starch, but I prefer not to because it can taste pretty fake and globby if overused.  And for the cooking time instructions I used them from the pie crust recipe.

So yea, I've been eating cherry pie all week for breakfast and you should too!  ENJOY!

my first pie
my first pie

Comments

Unknown said…
Your first pie looks darling. I have not yet made a pie either. Everything around it but - no pie. Why? My husband LOVES to make pies.
Aww that's great! Well you do everything so beautifully, might as well let him have his moment in the limelight with the pie, eh? ;)

Popular Posts