Double Chocolate Layer Cake with Ganache!

amazing birthday chocolate cake

I have the best mother-in-law EVER.  Seriously, I couldn't have lucked out any better with marrying my hubby.  Not only does she mean the world to me, but she spoils me royally.  For my birthday she told me she was making chocolate cake and "I hope you'll like it" to which I replied that it was pretty much my favorite dessert OF ALL TIME.  So there.  I feature many chocolate cake recipes on my blog, but this is a style that I don't have, which is a dark layered cake with ganache frosting - sooooo rich, moist and decadent!  Really reminded me of a cake I get at B&O Espresso in Seattle called Devil's Cake.  And it really is eeeeeeeevil let me tell ya!  Taken from Epicurious, here is the recipe featuring all the sinful ingredients you can possibly have in one dessert.   OH YEA.  Thanks mum-in-law for the best birthday ever!

Double Chocolate Layer Cake
Makes: 12 to 14

Ingredients:

For cake layers:
  • 3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
  • 1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
For ganache frosting:
  • 1 pound fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
Special equipment:
  • two 10- by 2-inch round cake pans

Directions:

- Make cake layers: Preheat oven to 300°F. and grease pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.
- Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- Make frosting: Finely chop chocolate. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted. Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).
- Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides. Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days. Bring cake to room temperature before serving.


Comments

MichelleM said…
YUM! Looks divine!!! You are a very lucky girl! :)
I know! It makes me cry, hehe. AND of course they fed me bbq cornish game hens that night. Was not a good day to be eating light, hah! It was so delicious.
pretty pretty! cool candles too ;)

Popular Posts